Pan Fu 潘復

This article is excerpted from Biographies of Prominent Chinese, published in Shanghai in c.1925.

Pan FuHis Excellency Pan Fu was born at Tsinan, Shantung Province, in 1871, of a literary and influential family. He was educated in regular Confucian schools, and became a Chu-jen, or Provincial graduate, when but twenty years of age.

Shortly before the first revolution, Mr. Pan was for a time Industrial Taotai of Shantung. During the year 1911, he was in the Secretariat of General Chen Teh-chuen, then Governor of Kiangsu. Upon the outbreak of the revolution, General Chen Teh-chuen was elected Tutuh of Kiangsu. Mr. Ying Teh-hung became General Chen’s Chief Secretary, and Mr. Pan became one of Mr. Ying’s assistants.

In January 1912, Mr. Ying Teh-hung was appointed Vice-Minister of Finance of the Nanking Provisional Government. Mr. Pan was also given a position in the Ministry. In April 1912, President Yuan Shih-kai appointed General Chen Teh-chuen as full Tutuh of Kiangsu. Mr. Pan was then given a position as assistant secretary.

In January 1913, Mr. Pan was appointed Industrial Commissioner of Shantung. He held this post until May 1914, when this office was abolished. During his tenure of office, he encouraged the industrial development of the province, by various means. Under his patronage, an industrial exhibition was held in June 1914, preparation for it having begun in October 1913. In that exhibition, the products of Shantung destined for the International Exhibition which was held at Panama the following year were displayed.

After the close of the Exhibition, Mr. Pan devoted his time and energy to the study of the problem of improving the Grand Canal and its tributaries in Shantung Province. Subsequently, he drafted a scheme and submitted the same to the Peking Government. In November 1914, he was appointed Director of the Bureau for the Preparation of the Shantung Grand Canal Improvement Works.

In the Autumn of 1915, Mr. Pan organized the Lu Feng Cotton and Spinning Mill in Tsinan, it having a total capital of one million dollars. Since its organization, he has been and continues to serve as its Managing Director.

In May 1916, Mr. Pan was appointed associate Director-General of the National Conservancy Bureau. In June 1917, he became acting Director-General of the same Bureau. As Director of that Bureau, he worked out many plans for the improvement of the rivers in China. Shortly afterwards, he gave up this latter post.

In December 1918, Mr. Pan was appointed associate Director-General of the Grand Canal Improvement Board, of which His Excellency Hsiung Hsi-ling was then Director-General.

In October 1919, Mr. Pan was awarded the Second Class Pao-kuang Chiaho. In December 1919, he became Vice-Minister of Finance, still holding the post of associate Director of the Grand Canal Board.

In May 1920, Mr. Pan was appointed to be, concurrent with his other positions, Director-General of the Grand Canal Board. In July, he was ordered to act for the Minister of Finance. In August, he became concurrently Chief of the Salt Administration and Inspector-General of the Salt Inspectorate.

In October 1920, Mr. Pan was awarded the Fifth Order of Merit; and in January 1921, he received the Second Class Tashou Paokuang Chiaho. In May 1921, His Excellency Li Shih-hou was appointed Minister of Finance, but did not assume office; and, therefore, in June 1921, Mr. Pan was again appointed acting Minister of Finance.

In October 1921, Mr. Pan received the First Class Tashou Paokuang Chiaho. In November 1921, he left the Ministry of Finance and the Salt Administration. Since that time he has been a resident of Tientsin.

Source:

A.R. Burt, J.B. Powell and Carl Crow, editors, Biographies of Prominent Chinese (Shanghai: Biographical Publishing Company Inc., c.1925). 56.